April 29, 2012

Freezer Meals: Egg Muffins


Another Pinterest-inspired success!  I was looking for something I could make for quick breakfasts as an alternative to cereal.  My inspiration came from a post on Mama and Baby Love for quiche-like egg muffins that could be frozen for individual quick breakfasts.  This sounded perfect!  I also liked it because it didn't require exact measurements and it is another easily modifiable recipe, depending on what ingredients you have on hand.  Of course, I had to try one after they were done and I am thrilled with the results.  It is delicious! Here is a brief breakdown of the steps.


In a mixing bowl I combined 12 eggs, some milk, 1/2 tsp of salt (the only thing I did measure), pepper, some shredded cheddar and queso cheeses, and about 6 slices of cooked bacon that I had chopped into small pieces.  Like I said, everything was just eyeballed/estimated except the salt.



I then divided the mixture into a muffin pan that I had sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  This step is VERY IMPORTANT!!  Once divided into the pan, I baked at 350 for 20 minutes.



This ended up being the perfect amount of cooking time for our oven.  You will want to check and make adjustments to your own cooking time as needed.  After sitting for a few minutes, they were cooked through very nicely.  Because of spraying the muffin tin, all I had to do was slide a knife around the edge to loosen, and they popped right out, fully intact.



 Delish!!



 After they had cooled somewhat, I put them all on a baking sheet and into the freezer.  Then they will be individually wrapped/bagged.  I have not tried reheating one yet, but the recommendation given by Mama and Baby Love is to pull them out the night before to thaw and then give them a quick reheat in the microwave or regular oven if you prefer.

So now I'm thinking about all the variations you could make with this recipe.  Sausage, ham, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, different cheeses, etc.  I can't wait to try more combinations with this recipe.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment